Van Permit Scheme





A Van Permit Scheme is in place at Merseyside’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) for people using vehicles such as vans.

If you’re planning to use a van or large trailer to access a HWRC in any of these areas then you will need to apply for a Permit.

Please read the following descriptions for vehicles that require a permit:

• A van
• An estate, hatchback, 4×4 or car with rear seats removed and or permanently blanked out side/rear windows
• Any ‘flatback’ or pick-up vehicle
• A trailer between 2 and 3 metres long

A Permit is not needed for cars or for trailers less than 2 metres in length (not including the tow bar)

Also, vehicles above 3.5t gross vehicle weight, and vehicles with trailers which are longer than 3 metres are not allowed to access a HWRC.

The Permit Scheme is currently suspended 

Privacy Notice

The Authority, in line with its statutory duties publishes a detailed Privacy Notice that covers all of the sets of personal data that it retains and processes for the purpose of delivering its services, operations and public facilities. A copy of the most current Privacy Notice can be found here: MWDA CORPORATE PRIVACY NOTICE 2018

Different Types of Permit

There are two types of Permit:

Annual Permit – this is required when you are delivering recyclable items of waste from your household, such as garden clippings, newspapers, magazines, glass bottles, textiles, small electrical appliances, cardboard, cans, batteries and oil etc. These Permits are valid for an unlimited number of visits to a Recycling Centre over a 12 month period.

Temporary Permit – this is required when you want to deliver bulky household waste such as furniture, rubble, scrap, televisions, white goods and wood. Up to 12 visits using a Temporary Permit can be made in a 12 month period. Temporary Permits can be issued for single visits when using a borrowed or hired vehicle or for 12 visits when using your own vehicle. With this type of Permit you can only deposit bulky household items (furniture etc), rubble and hardcore, scrap metal (such as washing machines, fridges etc), televisions and monitors, and wood (garden fences etc).

How long does it take to get a Permit?
We will issue your Permit via second class post – the Post Office aim to deliver second class post within three days.

What if I’m using a hired van?
You will still need to apply for a Permit. In addition, please bring the van hire agreement when you arrive at the Recycling Centre.

Why have you got a Permit Scheme?
The Household Waste Recycling Centres in Merseyside are just that – they are for household waste. But, often commercial businesses and traders attempt to use these facilities for free, which is illegal.

Making a change to your permit
If you need to make a change to your permit (e.g. a change in van, address or new markings on your vehicle) please send your permit back to the address on the top right hand corner of the permit with a note inside explaining the changes you would like to make. Once received your permit will be updated and sent back the same day.

Click here to download our Permit Scheme leaflet (PDF – 205kb)

Recycling App
Our new Recycling app – a handy programme for Merseyside recycling information – is currently available on for Android (through the Google Play Store) and Apple (through the App Store). It will soon be available on the Windows mobile platform. Just search ‘Merseyside recycling’ on the stores, or simply click on the relevant link below:

Download-on-App-Store-Button   google-play-button

Trade and Commercial Waste
Trade and commercial waste is the responsibility of the trader and commercial operator producing the waste, this includes any trade premises and small business. Merseyside’s Household Waste Recycling Centres are for householders to deposit their own waste. Trade and Commercial waste will not be accepted.

Those looking to dispose of trade waste may want to contact the Environment Agency which can offer advice:

Environment Agency
T: 08708 506 506