Merseyside Waste Disposal Authority (MWDA) also recommends sending Valentine’s cards by email and dining by candle light to add extra romance – and save energy.
Cllr John Fletcher Chairman of MWDA said: “Merseyside needs everyone’s help to make a big step change in it recycling performance. We have all got to take responsibility now or pay the financial and environmental cost.
“The ‘Love Your Partner, Love Your Planet’ advice sheet is a small way of encouraging people to change their environmental habits – hopefully for good.”
‘Love Your Partner, Love Your Planet’ Tips Include:
· Send a special Valentine’s e-card or text message
· Recycle Valentine’s card(s) via your local Household Waste Recycling Centre (call Tel: 0151 255 144 for your nearest Centre) or use your council’s kerbside cardboard collection services
· Resist buying over-packaged gifts
· Look for charity cards, where you know the profits are going to a good cause
· Buy a card from a local craft market, especially from designers who use recycled materials.
· Ask your local florist to wrap flowers in recycled paper (remembering to turn your bouquet into compost afterwards)
· Avoid packaging altogether by naming a star after your loved one or sponsor a local zoo animal
· Buy jewellery made from recycled products
· Recycle the empty champagne bottle
· Save on wrapping and make your own chocolates
· Buy an acre of rainforest for £25